Divorces may be entirely due to women marrying up in age

According to a 2014 study from Emory University, couples with a one-year age difference have a mere three percent chance of getting divorced. When you bump the age gap up to five years, the chance of divorce goes up to 18 percent. A 10-year difference is 39 percent, and a 20-year age gap has a jaw-dropping 95 percent chance of ending in divorce. Researchers analyzed over 3,000 couples for the study, and found that the larger the age gap between a couple, the more likely they are to get divorced.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2501480

1 Like

totally disagree with the title, but the article and conclusions are interesting.

also, I can’t help but think, that at some point those numbers drop off, if there were 30-40+ years difference then the purpose of the marriage probably wasn’t love from the start.
(ie. the younger person is waiting for the older to die for an inheritance)

I agree. Men who marry young women are 90% of the time looking to impress the social crowd. I’m a big trump supporter but he did the same.

Anyone who disagrees with this is probably an old man/woman and it’s a hard pill for them to swallow that no one would actually love them for life :slight_smile:

rates

I find that way more interesting than I should…

that’s intriguing spike there right after WW2.
and in the mid to late 70s (during the time of “free love”) marriage takes a dip, but divorce continues its own trend.

what country/countries does this graph represent?

anyone know how to interpret Cox proportional hazard model data?

I’d be happy to marry a younger person and she gets my inheritance. After I’m gone, what do I care :slight_smile: :slight_smile: