6 Harsh Truths that will Make you a Better Person

Probably the oldest article I know that mentions Incels, at least in the context we normally use it.

“Number 6: The World Only Cares About What It Can Get from You” has always haunted me since I first read it back in 2012… and never once have I ever been able to argue against it.

It’s so true. The hippies were wrong.

• Meditation, yoga, healthy living, etc. is a pretentious circlejerk.
  • Therapy and self-help is a pretentious circlejerk.
  • “Be yourself” is a load of bollocks.
  • “Do the things you love and success will follow” is a load of bollocks.
  • “Stop caring about what people think” will screw you over.
  • “Money doesn’t buy happiness” is a lie (spoilers: Only poor people say this).
  • “Everyone is special” is a lie (spoilers: Some people are literally superior to others and therefore live a better quality of life.)

The only thing that matters in this world is money, success and how many people wanna have sex with you. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to sell you sell you something, anyway.

Having said that…

Accepting these truths doesn’t mean that I want the world to be like this. Then again, I’m afraid the only workaround will be to wait until AI reaches human-level intelligence… so I can one day isolate myself from humanity completely and live among robots.

How ironic that only machines will ever be capable of truly loving you unconditionally, without demanding anything from you other than an energy source.

1 Like

yeah, I’ve heard and read these before. had them saved and written down somewhere too.
the thing is, “better” is subjective, if you live by ‘harsh truths’ you become a harsh person. not better…
maybe worse, depending on the person.

or at least for me, I know I grew more harsh and short-tempered with people the more I lived by that list.

I would argue that the only thing that matters is human happiness. Like my happiness matters. Your happiness matters. Happiness stops going up past a certain income level, so it’s not that important (and it should be distributed more equally and with better safety nets for the poor, like in Scandinavian countries). How many people want to have sex with you won’t make you happy. What I really want is a loving, close relationship that lasts a lifetime and that’s real. Some people achieve marriage. I don’t think I will ever be able to. I would love you unconditionally love you and marry you, but you’re a lesbian and I’m a man. Oh well. Maybe one day we will meet someone.

I don’t think that will ever happen. There is no general intelligence with AI and computers can never have a will or feel emotions like happiness or desire. I think you will find yourself very lonely living among robots. Heck, I live with my parents and I still crave human interaction.

actually, @QuantumCatX, do you ever wonder that if A.I. ever got to that point, that you would feel the need to isolate yourself from (some) robots as well?
I mean if they replace human interaction… wouldn’t you end up feeling the same way about them that you do about humans?
(I don’t mean to get too personal, sorry, just curious)

As someone with ASD we probably have more in common with robots than we do with Neurotypical humans (i.e. being much more rigidly sticking to logic, being more predictable, drawn to routine, etc).

Not saying that this is the most desirable outcome, but it does make some sense.

Anyway… I think what the article was really wanting to tell us is that… Even IF you reject capitalism… even IF you wanted to be an altruistic, benevolent hero and do good things in the world… (e.g. feed starving children in africa, cure malaria, etc.)

…you need to have the skills, the knowledge, the work ethic and the experience to be able to pull that off. Otherwise you’re going to be more of a liability than a helping hand.

Unless you’re a superhero or something.

actually, @QuantumCatX, do you ever wonder that if A.I. ever got to that point, that you would feel the need to isolate yourself from (some) robots as well?
I mean if they replace human interaction… wouldn’t you end up feeling the same way about them that you do about humans?
(I don’t mean to get too personal, sorry, just curious)

Actually, that is a really good question I’ve been wrestling with for some time.

If you’re going to simulate human interaction with AI, then you’ll inevitably feel the need to simulate Negative/Unpleasant aspects of human interaction as well… in order for it to feel real enough.

Otherwise it would feel kinda like playing a video game on God mode, all the time. A game that you can’t lose.

The only solution to that would be to have some kind of control (%) over just how much unpleasantness and unpredictability you want to have in your robot companions… so you start to tweak with the settings as you get bored and feel the need to step outside the comfort zone.

The human brain is a fascinating thing. I have the feeling that the very thing that makes us capable of such enormous intelligence is also the thing that can drive us to madness, irrationality and bad decisions.

You don’t see animals doing drugs or joining cults. Ever seen animals commit suicide… as in, plan in out and do it?

Which is why I actually think that the only way to create a convincing Human-level AI… is to give it the ability to make bad decisions/mistakes. Otherwise, you may as well stick to what we have now.

Can’t believe this was written in 2012 and ‘incels’ were mentioned, ahead of its time, which of course usually is a sign of quality.

Yup great article, hard hitting and definitely every incel should read whether they like it or not. But deep down many incels should like this article because it is very ■■■■■■■■■■■ and incels today sure love their ■■■■■■■■■ stuff.

Reading cracked dot com listicles? In the current year? Nary a word

I have heard of rats starving themselves to death if they have access to cocaine. but yeah I totally get your point.
hamuns are very complex, much more so than we give ourselves credit for.

Talking about incels in 2012, very ahead of it’s time ngl